Irish Beef 'n' Carrot Stew Recipe
My husband was born on St. Patrick's Day, and this is the special meal I make to celebrate that occasion. My family looks forward to it all year.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 2-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup Guinness, other dark beer or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2/3 cup additional beef broth
- Mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes
- 1. Place carrots in a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. In a skillet, saute onions in oil for 5 minutes or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer onions to dish.
- 2. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat; reserve flour mixture. In the same skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer to baking dish.
- 3. Stir reserved flour mixture into oil; cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Add basil and beer or broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in honey and additional broth; return to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over beef. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with potatoes. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 335 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 167 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC