Iowa Pork Roast
In Storm Lake, Iowa, Pat Botine surrounds this moist pork roast with a pretty combination of carrots and onion. It feeds a family of four with plenty left over for dishes later in the week. And since the creamy gravy is served at the table, the leftover pork is easy to use.—Pat Botine, Storm Lake, Iowa
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 1hour 20 min.
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown roast in butter for 5
- minutes on each side. Transfer to a roasting pan. In the same
- skillet, saute onion and carrots until crisp-tender. Place around
- roast. Sprinkle with paprika. Add broth to pan.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 20-30 minutes
- longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Remove roast and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Pour pan
- drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add water to measure 2-2/3
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and sour cream until smooth. Add
- drippings, parsley and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Serve with the roast.
- Refrigerate or freeze remaining pork (may be frozen for up to 3