Iowa Ham Balls
This is a special recipe my whole family likes. Every time they visit and I make Ham Balls, they're all smiles. When I take this to potluck meals, I'm always asked to share the recipe. It's very appropriate for my region, too, since Iowa farmers raise prize-winning pigs and cattle.
15 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3-1/2 pounds ground ham
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Using a 1/3 cup
- measure, shape mixture into 2-in. balls. Place in two large shallow
- roasting pans. Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over balls.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour, basting frequently with sauce. Yield:
- about 15 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 606 calories, 29 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 1,648 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer