This is a special recipe my whole family likes. Every time they visit and I make Ham Balls, they're all smiles. When I take this to potluck meals, I'm always asked to share the recipe. It's very appropriate for my region, too, since Iowa farmers raise prize-winning pigs and cattle.
- 3-1/2 pounds ground ham
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Using a 1/3 cup measure, shape mixture into 2-in. balls. Place in two large shallow roasting pans. Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over balls. Bake at 325° for 1 hour, basting frequently with sauce. Yield: about 15 servings.
Originally published as Iowa Ham Balls in Country April/May 1992, p47
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Iowa Ham Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review