Iowa Ham Balls Recipe
- 3-1/2 pounds ground ham
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) tomato soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine first five ingredients. Using a 1/3 cup measure, shape mixture into 2-in. balls. Place in two large shallow roasting pans. Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over balls. Bake at 325° for 1 hour, basting frequently with sauce. Yield: about 15 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Iowa Ham Balls(7)
Sort By :
Wow this was a hit at my Easter family gathering. The hard part of the recipe is expecting the butcher to grind up a ham, well I learned they don't. So I used my Kitchenaid attachment to grind meat and it worked perfectly. I cooked the meatballs in the oven in glasspans ahead of time. The day of the party I transferred them to a slow cooker and made more sauce to add to the slow cooker. I did change the recipe and did not use as much sugar. I think I used 1.5 cups instead of the 2.5 cups. I also substituted the ground beef with ground turkey instead.
Reminds me of when I ws a child!
Super easy and great for a crowd. I buy ground ham in the tube, but you can buy a boneless ham and have your butcher grind it if you have the time.
A friend of mine from church brought this over to our home when my husband had transplant surgery. It was new to all of us and I have to admit, we all gave it an eyebrow raise...and then we tasted them. This recipe will leave you licking your plate clean and don't be suprised if you find yourself having a serious craving for ham balls. WONDERFUL!!
I only made 1/2 of the sauce because I only had 1 can of tomato soup and it was still fine, in fact my husband liked them not so saucey.
What a wonderful, budget friendly recipe. I used apple cider vinegar with 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar. Also great use for leftover ham!
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Ham >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Dinner Recipes >
- Easter Main Dish Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >