Iowa Corn Casserole Recipe
I only wish I knew how many times I've made this dish for reunions and other get-togethers during the past 40 years. It seems no matter how much I make, there are never any leftovers. I've even gotten long-distance recipe requests from people who've moved away and miss my corn casserole.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 pound bacon, diced
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1. In a skillet, fry the bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of bacon drippings over bread crumbs; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; saute green pepper and onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the corn, bacon and half of bread crumbs.
- 2. Spoon into a 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 184 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC