Iowa Corn Casserole
I only wish I knew how many times I've made this dish for reunions and other get-togethers during the past 40 years. It seems no matter how much I make, there are never any leftovers. I've even gotten long-distance recipe requests from people who've moved away and miss my corn casserole.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound bacon, diced
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- In a skillet, fry the bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set
- aside. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of bacon drippings over bread crumbs; set
- aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; saute green pepper and onion
- in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the corn, bacon and half
- of bread crumbs.
- Spoon into a 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 184 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.