Iowa Corn Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bacon, diced
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1. In a skillet, fry the bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of bacon drippings over bread crumbs; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; saute green pepper and onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the corn, bacon and half of bread crumbs.
- 2. Spoon into a 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
3/4 cup: 184 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 526mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Iowa Corn Casserole
"This was a tasty meal. However I did make a few changes. I made my own creamed corn listed of using the caned stuff. Next time I'll use 1/2 a cup of bread crumbs. I found using the amount suggested took away from the creaminess of the corn.Cream Corn recipe found here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cream-corn-like-no-other/detail.aspx"
"I sometimes mix one can of cream-style corn with one can of either drained regular whole kernel corn or shoepeg corn and a splash of milk. My family prefers it that way. This is a simple but great recipe."
"I made this recipe last year for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit! People are asking for it again this year. It looks like this one will be around for years to come! It is very simple to make but the taste is fantastic!"
"I've made this casserole several times and it tastes GREAT! Everyone loves it. It is a keeper!"
"Okay, So how do you have 10 grams of fat when your using a whole pound of bacon, Plus bacon fat??? Did not not try it yet, but I think sombody's math is off."