I only wish I knew how many times I've made this dish for reunions and other get-togethers during the past 40 years. It seems no matter how much I make, there are never any leftovers. I've even gotten long-distance recipe requests from people who've moved away and miss my corn casserole.
- 1 pound bacon, diced
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- In a skillet, fry the bacon until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Pour 1/8 to 1/4 cup of bacon drippings over bread crumbs; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings; saute green pepper and onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the corn, bacon and half of bread crumbs.
- Spoon into a 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Iowa Corn Casserole in Country February/March 1993, p49
Reviews for Iowa Corn Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review