Inside-Out Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 12 ounces)
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 envelope Lipton beefy onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups chopped cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble beef with squash and pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in soup mix, brown sugar, V8 juice, water and cabbage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until rice is tender, about 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 382 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 7g fiber), 25g protein.
Reviews for Inside-Out Stuffed Cabbage
"It was delicious and very easy to make"
"This was really good and fairly easy to make :)"
"We love this recipe. Simple and we nearly always have all the ingredients readily on hand."
"I didn't add the green peppers...even my kids loved this recipe. My 12 year old has recently asked when I am going to make it again!"
"This recipe was delicious. I did keep the rice on the side just so it would keep better."
"Made this with a few tweaks and all my family likes this in the winter. Try sweet italian sausage instead of hamburger for more flavor."
"This was pretty quick and simple to make. I prepared the butternut squash and the green pepper the night before which really made prep time go quickly the night I made it. I really liked the flavor and I felt good that I was feeding my family something with cabbage and squash, things I don't use very often. I do think that it could stand a little more seasoning thought. I added salt and pepper to my bowl and that did the trick. Worth a try!"
"This meal was awesome! My husband and I ate the entire pot in two days!!! Making again this weekend!"
"This was just ok and I am usually a big fan of cabbage. It is missing tomatoes or something."
"I do not like squash so I made mine without it and served it with butter bread and the family loved it, it taste like a stuffed pepper"
"This has to be the best cabbage dish I have ever eaten..So easy to prepare and my husband loved it!It also freezes well."
"We loved this. It is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. My husband had seconds at dinner and more later that night. He also took some for lunch the next day. Will make again"
"so delicious and easy. goes great with cornbread"
"My family didn't care too much for this. I don't agree with it tasting like stuffed cabbage. It had a sweetness to it that didn't belong. All 4 of my kids aged 4 through 18 asked me not to make it again. I won't."
"This was a great dinner! My husband hates squash so I probably won't put it in next time. Other than that there were no complaints."