Inside-Out French Onion Soup Recipe
I came up with this innovative recipe in an attempt to capture the rich flavor of French onion soup in an impressive appetizer. It's comfort food with a festive twist!—Alana Puentes, Howard Beach, New York
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sherry or beef broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 30 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook onions in butter and 2 teaspoons oil over low heat for 20-25 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add broth and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until liquid is evaporated. Discard bay leaf.
- 2. Place bread on ungreased baking sheets; brush with remaining oil. Sprinkle with pepper.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Rub cut sides of halved garlic over toast; top slices with onion mixture and cheese. Bake for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 piece: 107 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Inside-Out French Onion Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC