Here's a hearty, one-dish meal that's lower in fat but very filling. The cabbage, ground beef and brown rice give it a comforting, down-home feel. Thanks to Lisa Williams of Comstock Park, Michigan for the recipe!
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the cabbage, tomatoes, broth and pizza sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice; heat through. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Inside-Out Cabbage Rolls in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p21
Reviews for Inside-Out Cabbage Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review