- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the cabbage, tomatoes, broth and pizza sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice; heat through. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Inside-Out Cabbage Rolls
"Super easy and very good. 5/5 in this household liked it!"
"Delicious! I substituted meat with firm tofu and beef broth with vegetable stock. Also used 12 oz of pizza sauce. Saut?ed the tofu, onions and green pepper before hand then threw everything in the crockpot on high for 4 hours. Added two cups of cooked rice with 45 minutes to go. Served with siracha sauce and it was a hit with all even the picky vegetarian! Also used tomatoes with habaneros instead of chilies :)"
"Not nearly the quick version of an Hungarian classic as it is a Mexican dish with cabbage. Or neither. Has little appeal for me."
"We loved this! I used a 12 oz jar of pizza sauce, and Minute Rice instead of the brown rice......my brown rice didn't turn out. The recipe still turned out great and we will make it again."
"loved this recipe ...didn't have canned tomatoes they called for so i added 1 can no salt tomatoes and some crushed red pepper....also added 1 cup of legumes and cooked with rice when i make it again i would make it in crock pot overnight"