- 12 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 whole garlic bulbs
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 12 slices Swiss cheese, quartered
- 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1/2 cup drippings.
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut tops off of garlic bulbs. Brush with 1 tablespoon bacon drippings. Wrap each bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until softened. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a large bowl; add the Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 24 patties. Layer 2 pieces of cheese, bacon and remaining cheese onto the center of each of 12 patties. Top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to seal.
- In a large skillet, cook onions in remaining reserved drippings over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, grill burgers, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Grill rolls, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Serve burgers on rolls with onions. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Inside-Out Bacon Cheeseburgers in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p220
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Inside-Out Bacon Cheeseburgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review