Individual Chicken Potpies Recipe
These little pies look so appetizing with their paprika-sprinkled crust and colorful veggies in a saucy filling. Always well-received by guests, they taste elegantly rich. Sometimes, I adapt the recipe and make one large casserole.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup fresh cauliflowerets
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until onion is tender. Add flour until blended. Stir in the broth, milk, broccoli, cauliflower, celery and carrot. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese. Divide chicken among four ungreased 1-1/2-cup baking dishes. Top with vegetable mixture.
- 2. For pastry, combine the flour, salt and paprika in a bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into four portions; roll out each to 1/8-in. thickness. Place pastry over vegetable mixture. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of dish; flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 811 calories, 51 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 126 mg cholesterol, 1,021 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 38 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC