- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup fresh cauliflowerets
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until onion is tender. Add flour until blended. Stir in the broth, milk, broccoli, cauliflower, celery and carrot. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese. Divide chicken among four ungreased 1-1/2-cup baking dishes. Top with vegetable mixture.
- For pastry, combine the flour, salt and paprika in a bowl; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide into four portions; roll out each to 1/8-in. thickness. Place pastry over vegetable mixture. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of dish; flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Individual Chicken Potpies
"I made these yesterday for lunch. My boys loved them since they had been outside shoveling snow half of the morning. WHEM OT CP,ES TO CROTOZING THE INGREDIANTS i DO NOT BELIEVE ANYTHING IS HARMFUL AS LONG IAS IT IS DONE IN MODERATION. yES, THERE IS A LOW FAT sWOSS cHEESE CALLED aLPINE lACE, BUT WOULD THE TASTE OF THIS CHEESE HOLD UP IN THE DISH? iT IS A MUCH MILDER FLAVOR, AT LEAST i THINK SO AND i THINK THIS DIS NEEDS A BOLDER SWISS."
"123Lon, did you make the recipe? I don't understand why people post a rating on here to either say that it looks good and they think they will make it, or to point out nutritional information that I can certaily read for myself. And taste of home, why is it a requirement to give stars? How can one give a star rating to a recipe they haven't tried yet?"
"The sodium content of the recipe is huge, like 1/2 the daily allowance of sodium. Using low sodium chicken broth, and leaving out the salt in the pastry, and unsalted butter would be a start. If there is such a thing a low sodium swiss cheese that would be a good thing.LAG"