Individual Beef Wellingtons
A savory mushroom-wine sauce is draped over the golden pastry in this recipe from our Test Kitchen. The elegant entree is perfect to present to guests on Christmas.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 to 2 inches thick and 8 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 3 tablespoons port wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- In a large skillet, brown steaks in 2 tablespoons butter for 2-3
- minutes on each side. Remove and keep warm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a
- 14-in. x 9-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut each into two 7-in. squares
- (discard scraps). Place a steak in the center of each square.
- Lightly brush pastry edges with water. Bring opposite corners of
- pastry over steak; pinch seams to seal tightly. Cut four small slits
- in top of pastry.
- Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Brush with
- egg. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden
- brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a