Indiana Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil.
- Combine the onion, carrot, water, celery, green pepper, ketchup, picante sauce and vinegar; pour over beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-75 minutes or until beef is tender. Serve with pasta. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Indiana Swiss Steak
Sort By :
"Wonderful meal that the entire family enjoyed! We especially liked the sweet-n-sour flavor of the sauce. We served it over egg noodles for a great Indiana-style dinner. Thanks!"
"I made this dish last week using venison instead of beef. It was great. My husband says it is a "keeper"."
"This dish is delicious! and easy to make - I have made it so many times that I am starting to make some substitutions and adjustments and it has been delicious every time. We have 7 children left at home now and they ask for this meal over and over. It is also a favorite of their's to prepare when they are on family cooking."