Indian Spiced Chickpea Wraps Recipe
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup drained unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, ground cumin and ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a small bowl, mix raita ingredients; set aside.
- For wraps, in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add ginger, garlic and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Stir in chickpeas and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Near the center of each tortilla, arrange spinach and chickpea mixture; top with raita. Roll up tightly; serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings (1-1/3 cups sauce).
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Indian Spiced Chickpea Wraps
Sort By :
This was wonderful it was easy to make and it made it on my 6 years old top ten list
These wraps were great! This is not something I would usually make and my husband wasn't so sure at first but we both loved them. It was quick to put together and the ingredients were budget friendly IF you already have the spices. Luckily I did because of the variety of foods I make.I did substitute lettuce for spinach and diced tomatoes for the crushed.
Great recipe! Really quick and easy to make and healthy. Very flavorful.
Thanks for this healthy, simple, flexible and yummy recipe! I made a few substitutions to use what I had on hand: lettuce instead of spinach, a can of diced tomatoes instead of crushed, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger rather than fresh, and an extra teaspoon of curry instead of the other spices.
What a surprising combination of flavors! This is simple, inexpensive, and really tasty, not to mention healthy. We loved it.