- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- Oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons chopped lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in hot water to form a soft dough. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 4-in. circle.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Fry bread circles in hot oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden; drain on paper towels. Top each with meat mixture, lettuce and tomato. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Indian Fry Bread Tacos
Sort By :
"Best Food Ever!! Love making this for my family and can't wait to make it again:))"
"These were good and easy to make. I would make these again."
"This is a great recipe. I've used a similar one for about 10 years now. Indian Tacos is a Christmas Dinner tradition at our home. If I didn't fix them each year, I'm sure I'd have a rebellion on my hands. The original recipe was given to me by a Native American Indian in Colorado whose husband was a chief on their tribe's ranch. The first time we had them with this couple, I knew it was a winner. This is so easy and sure puts a different slant on the "average" taco."
"I tried fry bread at a fair and loved it so when i saw this recipe, I just had to make it. I wasn't disappointed this recipe was awesome! Though next time i will double it."
"fry bread recipes do not contain yeast,but beaver tails do !"