- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- Oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons chopped lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in hot water to form a soft dough. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 4-in. circle.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Fry bread circles in hot oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden; drain on paper towels. Top each with meat mixture, lettuce and tomato. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Indian Fry Bread Tacos
Sort By :
"This is a great recipe. I've used a similar one for about 10 years now. Indian Tacos is a Christmas Dinner tradition at our home. If I didn't fix them each year, I'm sure I'd have a rebellion on my hands. The original recipe was given to me by a Native American Indian in Colorado whose husband was a chief on their tribe's ranch. The first time we had them with this couple, I knew it was a winner. This is so easy and sure puts a different slant on the "average" taco."
"I tried fry bread at a fair and loved it so when i saw this recipe, I just had to make it. I wasn't disappointed this recipe was awesome! Though next time i will double it."
"fry bread recipes do not contain yeast,but beaver tails do !"
"sorry i hit the button to soon. this type of bread taste great."
"thats some pretty fried "biscuits". but not traditional fried bread. In the "traditional"' Indian fried bread, you are to use yeast in the frying of the bread."