Indian Fry Bread Tacos Recipe
From Ponca City, Oklahoma, LaDonna Reed writes, “Our son-in-law is half Comanche and half Kiowa, and this recipe is similar to one he uses. I downsized it for two.”
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/3 cup water
- Oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons chopped lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir in hot water to form a soft dough. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- 3. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 4-in. circle.
- 4. In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 350°. Fry bread circles in hot oil for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden; drain on paper towels. Top each with meat mixture, lettuce and tomato. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC