Indian Chicken Dish Recipe
- 4 cardamom pods
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 whole cloves
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon unblanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon salted cashews
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 small red onions, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Hot cooked basmati rice, optional
- 1. Remove seeds from cardamom pods; place in a food processor. Add the garlic, cloves, ginger, almonds, cashews and cinnamon; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onions and jalapenos in oil until tender. Stir in water and the garlic mixture. Add the chicken, milk, yogurt and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup chicken mixture (calculated without rice) equals 367 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.