I enjoy cooking for my family and try to incorporate new, healthy foods into our menus. This authentic Indian dish is a favorite.—Aruna Kancharla, Bentonville, Arkansas
- 4 cardamom pods
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 whole cloves
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon unblanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon salted cashews
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 small red onions, chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Hot cooked basmati rice, optional
- Remove seeds from cardamom pods; place in a food processor. Add the garlic, cloves, ginger, almonds, cashews and cinnamon; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute onions and jalapenos in oil until tender. Stir in water and the garlic mixture. Add the chicken, milk, yogurt and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Indian Chicken Dish in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p158
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Indian Chicken Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review