- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 4 bacon strips
- 1/3 cup each chopped celery, green pepper and onion
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter,divided
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare corn bread according to the package directions. Cool and crumble enough to measure 2 cups; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- To the drippings, add the celery, green pepper and onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Stir in the milk, corn, jalapeno, pimientos, sugar, salt, vegetable mixture and bacon. Add 1 cup corn bread crumbs. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until heated through.
- Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Melt the remaining butter; toss with the remaining crumbs. Sprinkle on top of batter. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until bubbles around the edges and is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Indian Baked Corn in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p30
Reviews for Indian Baked Corn
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review