Incredible Coconut Cake Recipe
I found this recipe in a newspaper many years ago and modified it to suit my taste. This is my all-time favorite cake, and my family and friends absolutely love it. —Lynne Bassler, Indiana, Pennsylvania
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flaked coconut, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 325°. In another large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- 3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut.
- 4. Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 5. Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 6. For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- 7. Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 689 calories, 37 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 353 mg sodium, 85 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC