- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 4-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In another large bowl, beat sugar, butter and oil until well blended. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; with clean beaters, beat on medium until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting and sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut. Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forIncredible Coconut Cake
"I made this cake for Easter with just a few changes. I added half the coconut and almond extract and increased vanilla. I also topped it with untoasted coconut. I frosted it with a coconut buttercream b/c I thought cream cheese frosting would b too heavy. Everyone loved it. It was super moist and delicious. I will make it again!"
"I have been making this cake since I first found this recipe in 2011. It's the best coconut cake. The cake is moist and flavorful. The coconut plus the coconut extract I've it a lovely coconut flavor. I fill mine with lemon curd. This has been my go to coconut cake recipe for years. It's scrumptious."
"Just reading the recipe I can tell it will be fantastic! Going to make tomorrow and share with the neighbors."
"So worth the extra effort! Loved every bite."
"I made this for my husband and nephews birthday celebration and it was a HUGE hit! It does take a little time to make but it is sooo worth it. When I was layering it up it felt so soft. I just wanted to use it as a pillow. I did leave out the almond extract and just added a little more vanilla. I can't eat a lot of sweets due to blood sugar levels but I couldn't help but going back for one more scrumptious bite. I thought it might need a little more icing because it was thin, but it worked with the toasted coconut all over it. Make sure to toast the coconut that you put on the icing. Yum! I'm making it again for Thanksgiving."
"This cake gets 100 stars. Wonderful!"
"I made this for the first time this year for Easter and it was a big hit. Even people who were not huge coconut fans loved it! It is time consuming but so worth it. The egg whites make it so light and the toasted coconut is the perfect addition. This is my new favorite cake."
"Two nights ago my sister asked me to make her favorite cake (coconut) for her. I hadn't made a coconut cake in a long time so I looked for a new recipe and find this one. I have to say that this is one of the best tasting coconut cakes I have made. The cake was moist and tasted great. I did not use cream cheese frosting so I made buttercream frosting. My sister and the rest of my family really enjoyed the cake. I give the cake 5 stars. I am adding this recipe to my collection of recipes."