Raising eight children on a potato farm in Idaho, Mother was very creative at using an abundant crop. We especially liked her light, fluffy potato doughnuts. We encouraged Mother to let us help make them often. Now I prepare them to share with friends and neighbors.
-Sandi Jones, Windsor, California
48 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + rising Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; cool to 110°-115°.
- Discard remaining cooking liquid. Mash potatoes without milk or
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in reserved cooking liquid. Add the
- mashed potatoes, milk, oil, sugar, eggs and salt. Add enough flour
- to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to
- grease top.