Idaho Spudnuts Recipe
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; cool to 110°-115°. Discard remaining cooking liquid. Mash potatoes without milk or butter.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in reserved cooking liquid. Add the mashed potatoes, milk, oil, sugar, eggs and salt. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; let rise again until doubled, about 20 minutes. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown.
- For glaze, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla until smooth. Dip warm doughnuts in glaze. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Idaho Spudnuts(5)
Sort By :
The mashed potatoes in donuts part sounds sooo weird, but these donuts are sooooo good! We have made these many times over the past 10+ years! I wish they weren't soo high in calories though.. 1 lb. of potatoes is about a big potato and a half..... These donuts go away quick at my house.
I love love this recipe. Made these for grand kids they loved them.
I just made these and they are WONDERFUL, and looked just like the picture, even for me. I used 2 cups of mashed potatoes. I will make them again for Thanksgiving and Christmas morning.
Haven't tried them yet, but going to. Sounds great!
I've made this recipe half a dozen times over the past few years. I wish I knew how much mashed potatoes "1 pound" is, but my guestimations don't seem to have hurt anything yet!