Idaho Potato Cake
Potatoes in dessert? Many cooks never think of the possibility. But this delicious cake gets its moist texture from Idaho spuds. We raise them here on our farm, and our son has also developed and markets potato ice cream!
—LaRene Reed, Idaho Falls, Idaho
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- potatoes and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add
- alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for
- 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 337 calories, 17 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.