Iced Orange Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Orange paste food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange juice and peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- 2. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over cooled cookies. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 63 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Iced Orange Cookies
"Very good! Only thing I changed was that I used butter instead of shortening. These taste better after sitting a day, next time I'll try lemon juice for a different flavor. Will definitely make again!"
"These cookies are so easy to make and very soft. I am going to make them next time with lime in replace of everything orange and also lemon in replace of the orange ingredients. I hope it goes well. They went quick in my small family of four."
"I absolutely love these soft, melt in your mouth cookies! I always get lots of compliments and receipe requests."
"I own a pastry company and am always trying new recipes. This is one of my customer favorites. I mix it like a cake (cream fats and sugar, then alternately add liquids and dry ingredients). I always substitute lemon juice for orange juice in the glaze. I thought it was a little flat with the orange juice, but the lemon glaze adds a great tangy flavor! Mine always bake up much flatter than the picture. It's really hard to eat just one!"
"These were very moist and flavorful! I had many requests for the recipe after I gave them as Christmas gifts."
"A delicious 'little' treat!"