Iced Cinnamon Potato Rolls Recipe
This recipe comes from my mother-in-law, who remembers making these rolls often. Now I make them often. Maybe they'll be a hit with your family, too!—Mrs. Jonas Schwartz, Berne, Indiana
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup hot mashed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- VANILLA ICING (for each pan):
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine sugar and mashed potatoes. Add water and yeast; mix well. Cover and let rise in a warm place 1 hour.
- 2. Stir dough down; beat in butter, eggs and salt. Gradually stir in flour. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- 3. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a 12-in. square. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients. Spread filling to within 1 in. of edges of each square. Roll up jelly-roll style. Cut each roll into nine slices. Arrange nine rolls in each of two greased 9-in. square baking pans.
- 4. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Combine icing ingredients and frost warm rolls.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unrisen rolls. To use, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Let rise, covered, in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Bake and frost rolls as directed. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC