Colorful bits of candied fruit peek out from every sweet slice of this traditional recipe that's been in my family for generations. Mom would enlist me and my sister to drizzle the loaves with icing.—Ellen Teter, Arapahoe, Nebraska
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-2/3 cups 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red candied cherries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green candied cherries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 3/4 cup chopped candied citron
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, eggs, lemon peel, cardamom, salt, mace and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Stir in the cherries, almonds, raisins, pineapple and citron.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface. Divide into four portions. Shape each into a 12-in. x 7-in. oval. Fold long side over to within 1/2-in. of opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place 5 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk, butter, vanilla and salt. Drizzle over stollens. Yield: 4 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Christmas Stollen in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p121
Reviews for Iced Christmas Stollen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review