Icebox Rolls Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (110°-115°). In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup boiling water and shortening. Add remaining water, eggs, salt, sugar and yeast mixture.
- 2. Stir in 1 cup of flour at a time, mixing well after each addition, until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into nine portions. Divide and shape each portion into 12 balls. Place three balls in each greased muffin cup. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake rolls until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven; brush with butter. Yield: 36 rolls.
1 roll: 135 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Icebox Rolls
"These rolls are TO DIE FOR! Add on the fact that they're so easy to make, and you've got a winner."
"i made these for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it..My 4 year old asked me to make more and i am doing so right now :)"