These melt-away rolls are a family favorite, and we sometimes have more than 20 people around the table. Make the dough in advance and bake when you're ready. —Barb Linnerud, Boiling Springs, South Carolina
Featured In: 15 Southern Thanksgiving Recipes
- 1-1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups bread flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Place potatoes in a saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes (you should have about 2 cups). Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, salt, yeast and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and shortening to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add eggs and potatoes; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be very sticky).
- Do not knead. Place dough in a large greased bowl. Cover with greased plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Punch down dough. Using a tablespoon dipped in melted butter, drop three spoonfuls of dough into a greased muffin cup. Repeat, redipping spoon in butter.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Brush tops with remaining melted butter. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks; serve warm. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Icebox Potato Rolls in Taste of Home December 2014, p49
Reviews for Icebox Potato Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 31, 2015
"These rolls are fantastic! Easy to make and everyone eho tries them loves them. Their so light and fluffy!"
Reviewed Dec. 19, 2014
"My mom made these for Thanksgiving and they were so delicious!"