Icebox Honey Cookies Recipe
"Grandma Wruble always had a batch of these cookies in the cookie jar and another roll in the refrigerator ready to slice and bake," recalls Kristi Gleason of Flower Mound, Texas. "Their honey and lemon flavor is delicious."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:48 servings
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in honey and extract. Combine remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into two 12-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- 3. Preheat oven to 325°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 8 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 147 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC