My Grandma Wruble always had a batch of these cookies in the cookie jar and another roll in the refrigerator ready to slice and bake. Their honey and lemon flavor is delicious! —Kristi Gleason, Flower Mound, Texas
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in honey and extract. Combine remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into two 12-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 8 dozen.
Originally published as Icebox Honey Cookies in Country Woman March/April 2000, p43
Reviews for Icebox Honey Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review