- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in honey and extract. Combine remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into two 12-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 8 dozen.
Reviews for Icebox Honey Cookies
"Almost addictive, a real time saver"
"I baked these for a cookie Christmas plates to give as gifts. The lemon and cinnamon flavor is subtle, but the honey flavor was distinct. The dough is very soft, even when frozen. Of course, my cookies did not look like the picture as they spread. Also, the honey I used was dark, which made them a darker cookie. They were good, but will not be a favorite of mine."
"Love them. Just like Gramme's cookies! Good with hot coffee or tea preferred with tea"
"Yum! These cookies are so soft and taste so good! I love the little hint of cinnamon both in the baking process and in taste. I added about 2 tsp. of lemon zest and 3 tblsp. Of fresh lemon juice as well as the tsp. of lemon extract only because I really love all things lemon! The dough was light & fluffy. I suppose if you wanted a more dense cookie you could add a bit more flour but I don't think they need it. This recipe is going into my best loved lemon recipe. Thank you for these great icebox cookies!"
"We added chopped toasted pecans and everyone loved them! (Even the ones who don't like nuts.)"