"This cookie recipe from my 91-year-old grandmother was my grandfather's favorite," shares Chris Paulsen, Glendale, Arizona. "She still makes them and sends us home with the dough so that we can make more whenever we want, I love to make a fresh batch when company drops in."
Featured In: Neapolitan Recipes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desire.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into three 10-in. x 1-in. rolls. Tightly wrap each roll in waxed paper. Freeze for at least 12 hours.
- Cut into 3/8-in. slices and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Originally published as Icebox Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p63
Reviews for Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2015
"We loved it but changed vanilla from half tsp to 1 cup because we are alcoholics"
Reviewed Apr. 3, 2012
"We enjoyed these cookies, but added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to add to the flavor"