- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desire.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into three 10-in. x 1-in. rolls. Tightly wrap each roll in waxed paper. Freeze for at least 12 hours.
- Cut into 3/8-in. slices and place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Originally published as Icebox Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p63
Reviews for Icebox Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2015
"We loved it but changed vanilla from half tsp to 1 cup because we are alcoholics"
Reviewed Apr. 3, 2012
"We enjoyed these cookies, but added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to add to the flavor"