Icebox Apple Pie Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (3 ounces) peach or orange gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the apples, water, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the apples are tender. Gradually stir in gelatin and pudding; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. Pour into pie shell. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over filling. Chill 3-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 slice: 272 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 234mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Icebox Apple Pie
"This pie is delicious! I've made it several times and have tried orange gelatin as well as peach. The orange imparts a stronger flavor, but seems to compliment the apples a little better than the peach. I back off on the nutmeg, but that's a personal choice. Tart varieties of apples work best, but I did make it once with a combination of Fuji and Honey Crisp (I know!), It was quite sweet. One last note, I use sugar-free gelatin to reduce the calories. Just excellent!"