- 4-1/2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 package (3 ounces) peach or orange gelatin
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, water, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the apples are tender. Gradually stir in gelatin and pudding; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Pour into pie shell. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over filling. Chill 3-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Icebox Apple Pie(1)
Sort By :
This pie is delicious! I've made it several times and have tried orange gelatin as well as peach. The orange imparts a stronger flavor, but seems to compliment the apples a little better than the peach. I back off on the nutmeg, but that's a personal choice. Tart varieties of apples work best, but I did make it once with a combination of Fuji and Honey Crisp (I know!), It was quite sweet. One last note, I use sugar-free gelatin to reduce the calories. Just excellent!