Ice Cream Tunnel Cake Recipe
My son found this yummy recipe a few years ago and now it's a yuletide tradition. A boxed mix makes preparation easy. For a fun variation, try mint-chocolate chip ice cream.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- 2. Cut a 1-in. slice off the top of the cake; set aside. To make a tunnel, carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (save removed cake for another use). Cover and place cake shell in freezer for 1 hour.
- 3. Fill tunnel with ice cream; replace cake top. Cover and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- 4. Just before serving, in a microwave, melt chips and corn syrup; stir until smooth. Stir in cream and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Ice Cream Tunnel Cake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC