Ice Cream Sundae Caramels
These soft caramels are a hit at holiday time. I came up with the recipe using ingredients I commonly have on hand. It's a favorite!
96 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups (16 ounces) dark corn syrup
- 2 cups (1 pint) vanilla ice cream, melted, divided
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 8 ounces milk chocolate candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, finely chopped
- In a heavy 4-qt. saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, 1 cup ice
- cream and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture begins
- to boil. Increase heat to medium; cook and stir until candy
- thermometer reads 242° (nearly firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir in remaining ice cream. Return
- to the heat; cook without stirring to 244° (firm-ball stage).
- Immediately pour, without stirring, into a buttered 13-in. x 9-in.
- pan. Let cool until firm. Invert candy onto a baking sheet.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Spread over
- candy; sprinkle with nuts. Score top into 1-in. squares. Let stand
- until set. Cut into 1-in squares, follow score marks. Wrap
- individually in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Yield: about 3-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 74 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium,