Ice Cream Peaches
When our kitchen crafters dished up Helen Banycky's ice cream, they were struck by its refreshingly real flavor—and by how the shape of the scoops suggested actual peaches. To expand that look, they rolled the scoops in gelatin for a fuzzy appearance. "They do resemble peaches," Helen, who's from Carterville, Illinois, told us after we shared what our cooks had one. "I'll have to try that tr
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 4 cups sliced peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) peach or orange gelatin
- Whole cloves and fresh mint, optional
- In a large bowl, mash peaches until smooth. Stir in the next six
- ingredients until sugar is dissolved. For best results, chill for at
- least 3 hours.
- Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's
- directions. Shape by 2/3 cupfuls into balls, forming a crease down
- one side to resemble a peach if desired. Cover and freeze for at
- least 8 hours.
- Place gelatin in a large resealable plastic bag; add ice cream balls,
- one at a time; toss until coated. Place in serving dishes. Insert
- cloves to resemble peach stems and mint for leaves if desired.
- Freeze or serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a