This tempting take on the much-loved cake roll features a from-scratch chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and a layer of berry jam. Garnished with hot fudge and whipped topping, the slices are hard to resist.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup strawberry or raspberry jam
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- Confectioners' sugar
- Hot fudge topping and whipped topping
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Stir a third of the whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off paper. Roll up cake in towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll cake; spread jam to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with ice cream. Roll up without towel. Place seam side down on a platter. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours before slicing. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar; serve with hot fudge topping and whipped topping. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Ice Cream Party Roll in Quick Cooking November/December 2003, p31
Reviews for Ice Cream Party Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review