Ice Cream Cake Roll Recipe
"The cake roll can be made and filled ahead of time, then thawed once company comes," says field editor Kathy Scott of Hemingford, Nebraska. "You can use whatever ice cream flavor you have on hand."
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups ice cream, softened
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk, heated to 160° to 170°
- 1 cup sugar
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease and flour paper; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high for 3 minutes or until lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until thick and pale yellow. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually add to egg yolk mixture Beat on low until well mixed (mixture will be thick).
- 3. In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and salt on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. Unroll cake; spread with ice cream to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until serving.
- 6. In a small heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring until smooth. Gradually add warm milk and sugar; stir constantly for 5 minutes or until completely dissolved. Serve with cake. Yield: 10 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
1 slice: 380 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Ice Cream Cake Roll
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC