Ice Cream Cake Roll Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups ice cream, softened
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk, heated to 160° to 170°
- 1 cup sugar
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease and flour paper; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high for 3 minutes or until lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until thick and pale yellow. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually add to egg yolk mixture Beat on low until well mixed (mixture will be thick).
- 3. In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and salt on high speed until soft peaks form. Fold a fourth of egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. Unroll cake; spread with ice cream to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until serving.
- 6. In a small heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring until smooth. Gradually add warm milk and sugar; stir constantly for 5 minutes or until completely dissolved. Serve with cake. Yield: 10 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
1 slice: 380 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Ice Cream Cake Roll
"This was a hit at the party. You do need to watch the cooking time on the cake. I undercook the cake a little to keep it moist and easy to roll."
"cake part was like cardboard....Not impressed..."