Ice Blue Igloo and Penguins Recipe
Even in winter, you'll want to head toward a colder climate—this domed home that's for the birds! The icy abode and cute web-footed friends consist completely of sweets, including fruit-flavored gelatin, sugary gumdrops and cream cheese frosting. With simple-to-use ingredients, you can quickly make your own igloo and penguins, too. So why not raise them for family or friends today...and enjoy a pleasing whimsical treat?
- 6 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 4 packages (3 ounces each) berry blue gelatin
- 7 cups boiling water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 large black gumdrops
- 2 large orange gumdrops
- Colored sprinkles
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 6-ounce custard cup
- #7 round pastry tip
- Pastry or plastic bag
- 1. Directions: Place unflavored gelatin and cold water into a bowl, letting mixture stand 1 minute to soften. In a large bowl, dissolve blue gelatin in boiling water. Stir in unflavored gelatin mixture until dissolved. Pour into a 2-qt. bowl and a 6-oz. custard cup coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2. In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar. Transfer to a pastry or plastic bag. Cut a small hole in corner of bag and insert pastry tip.
- 3. Penguins: Slice black gumdrops in half lengthwise. Referring to photos for position, pipe two dots of cream cheese mixture on the sugared side of each black gumdrop for eyes. Pipe a line from the center of each black gumdrop to the bottom for the chest.
- 4. Cut two 1/4-in. thick circles from each orange gumdrop. Referring to photos, cut a small triangle from the edge of each orange circle and set aside. Place a black gumdrop on each orange circle so white chest is lined up with cutout notch. For beaks, cut a 1/4-in. piece from the tip of each triangle and place above each penguin's chest. Add sprinkles for eyes and buttons. Set penguins aside
- 5. Igloo: Unmold gelatin in bowl onto a 12-in. round serving plate for igloo. Unmold gelatin in custard cup onto a cutting board for igloo's entrance. Cut a 1/4-in. slice from two opposite sides of entrance dome. Position one cut side against igloo, leaving the other cut side to serve as the "door."
- 6. Just before serving and referring to photo for position, pipe cream cheese mixture on igloo to create an ice block pattern. Beginning at the base of igloo and leaving entrance plain for now, pipe a straight line around bottom of large dome, spacing them 1 in. apart. Form ice blocks by piping vertical lines 1-1/2 in. apart, staggering their position from one row to the next.
- 7. On igloo's entrance, outline the door by piping around cut-off area. Form ice blocks on small dome the same as for large dome.
- 8. Spread remaining cream cheese mixture over serving plate around igloo and sprinkle with coconut. Place penguins randomly around igloo. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Ice Blue Igloo and Penguins
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC