I'm Stuffed French Toast Recipe
- 2 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon banana or vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 8 slices oat bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries or frozen unsweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, saute bananas with brown sugar. Stir in banana extract. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add banana mixture; beat well. Spread on four slices of bread; top with remaining bread.
- 2. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture.
- 3. In a large skillet, toast sandwiches in butter for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the strawberries, blueberries and sugar; heat through. Serve with French toast; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed French toast with 1/4 cup berries (calculated without confectioners' sugar) equals 496 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 167 mg cholesterol, 659 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 17 g protein.