Hush Puppy Mix Recipe
Edna Bullet of Wilburton, Oklahoma adds garlic powder and red pepper flakes to the cornmeal that creates these golden hush puppies. "You'll win rave reviews for the crunchy crust and spicy flavor of these corn-filled bites," she promises.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:144 servings
- 4-1/3 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 batches (4-1/2 cups total).
- 2. To prepare hush puppies: In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups mix, corn, onion and egg; stir just until moistened. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil; fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: about 4 dozen per batch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC