Hush Puppy Mix Recipe
- 4-1/3 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 batches (4-1/2 cups total).
- To prepare hush puppies: In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups mix, corn, onion and egg; stir just until moistened. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil; fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: about 4 dozen per batch.
Originally published as Hush Puppy Mix in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p35
Reviews for Hush Puppy Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2010
HELP!! Interesting, anxious to try. After reading editor's note, does this mean the 41/3 c. corn meal will be self rising, along with the 1 TBSP. salt added. Thanks!!!