Hush Puppy Mix Recipe
Edna Bullet of Wilburton, Oklahoma adds garlic powder and red pepper flakes to the cornmeal that creates these golden hush puppies. "You'll win rave reviews for the crunchy crust and spicy flavor of these corn-filled bites," she promises.
- 4-1/3 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 6-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 batches (4-1/2 cups total).
- To prepare hush puppies: In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups mix, corn, onion and egg; stir just until moistened. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1-1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil; fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: about 4 dozen per batch.
Originally published as Hush Puppy Mix in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p35
Reviews for Hush Puppy Mix(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2010
HELP!! Interesting, anxious to try. After reading editor's note, does this mean the 41/3 c. corn meal will be self rising, along with the 1 TBSP. salt added. Thanks!!!