Mom is well known for her wonderful hush puppies. Her recipe is easy to prepare and gives tasty results. The chopped onion adds to the great flavor.
-Mary McGuire, Graham, North Carolina
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the egg, milk and onion; add to dry ingredients just until
- In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 365°. Drop
- batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until
- golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 4-6