Mom is well known for her wonderful hush puppies. Her recipe is easy to prepare and gives tasty results. The chopped onion adds to the great flavor. -Mary McGuire, Graham, North Carolina
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg, milk and onion; add to dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 365°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Hush Puppies in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p35
Reviews for Hush Puppies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review