Hurry-Up Ham Carbonara
This pleasing pasta from Romona Parris of Marietta Georgia will satisfy your taste buds and your pocketbook. "Try adding frozen peas or sliced mushrooms for even more flavor," she suggests. Priced at 96 cents a plate, it's bound to make regular appearances at your table.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) angel hair pasta
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup stick margarine, melted
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large
- skillet, saute the onion in oil. Add the ham, broth and margarine;
- heat through.
- Drain pasta; add to ham mixture. Add egg yolks; cook until the eggs
- are completely set. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan cheese; toss
- to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 582 calories, 34 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 133 mg cholesterol, 873 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.