VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 cups ground walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until blended. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough into three portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on medium after each addition until well blended. Stir in walnuts.
- Generously coat a work surface with confectioners' sugar. Roll one portion of dough into a 12-in. square, about 1/8-in. thick, sprinkling with additional confectioners' sugar as necessary to coat well. Cut into sixteen 3-in. squares.
- Shape 2 teaspoons filling into a small log, about 2 in. long. Place diagonally onto a square. Overlap opposite corners of dough over filling; pinch tightly to seal. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
- To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in a resealable bag. Store in the refrigerator.
- Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. If desired, dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Hungarian Walnut Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p150