- for rolls; reserve the balance to use as recipe directs.
- Spoon half of the sauerkraut into a Dutch oven; set aside. In a bowl,
- combine the beef, pork, rice, salt, pepper and egg. In a saucepan,
- cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. In drippings, saute
- onion and garlic until tender. Add bacon and half of onion mixture
- to meat mixture; mix well.
- Place about 3 tablespoons on each cabbage leaf. Roll up, tucking in
- sides. Place rolls, seam side down, on sauerkraut in Dutch oven.
- Coarsely chop any remaining cabbage leaves; place over rolls. To
- remaining onion mixture, add paprika, cayenne, tomatoes, caraway
- seeds, water and remaining sauerkraut. Cook until heated through.
- Pour over rolls.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour 45 minutes. In a small bowl,
- gradually stir flour into sour cream. Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons hot
- cooking liquid; mix well. Spoon over cabbage rolls. Bake, uncovered,
- 15-20 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Yield: 4-6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 451 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 1,558 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer